Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Music: my new caffeine

Don't get me wrong, I consume as much caffeine as ever, but I've been using music more and more to get me in the work zone. It isn't always appropriate. If I really have to think hard, I need to turn it off, but in a lot of instances, it's got that same mind alterning effect. And with research, getting in the zone is the hard part. Music helps.

Here in Finland, I've been listing to a lot of J Dilla and Common. Here is a compilation of four of Common's best albums: Four Common Classics. And here's one of his cool tunes if you want to get a feel for his music: The 6th Sense. Common is thoughtful, socially conscious, and his topics are closer to my own experience than those of the gangsta rapper. He's also got such a cool jazzy style.

J Dilla, on the other hand, is a producer, DJ, beat man. His grooves are among the grooviest. Here's a couple of songs I love, both with Common rapping (So Far To Go, E=MC2) and the remainder of that album, called The Shinning, is great. Here's a compilation of J Dilla's work I put together: J Dilla Tunes.

FYI: Common is the guy that Michelle Obama invited to the White House a while back and got a bunch of flack from FOX NEWS, because of some of the lyrics in his songs.

No comments: