Most of us will spend a huge portion of our lives working,
which makes what we do important. Work is the main way most of us engage in our
communities and take part in the human endeavor on earth. Work also challenges
us, brings tension into our lives, and forces us to look at ourselves. Work is
a teacher, and as humans I think we are meant for it.
I'm fortunate to have work with variety and that I enjoy. I get
to teach young Montanans and see one or two a year get hooked on the joy of learning.
That's a rush! And I'm a research mathematician, one of a global community, which
requires hard work and travel to do it well; right now, I need a break from it.
I recall dreaming of being a Professor when I was an
undergraduate, and yet I can't say that I chose my career. Looking back, it
feels like it just sort of happened. And now at 38, with a family and lots of
responsibility, a Professor is what I am and will be for some time. With the
years rushing by, I do feel trapped now and again, and frustrated at the
limitations of my chosen work and that my time on earth is so short. But on the
whole, I feel fortunate to be doing what I'm doing.
This week I took a work trip up to the University of Eastern
Finland in Kuopio, abound 4.5 hours north of Helsinki by train. Kuopio is
similar to Missoula in size and remoteness, yet there's a group in the Physics
Department there that is one of the strongest in my research area in the world.
It was good to visit with such high caliber people, share ideas, and get some
collaborations started.
![]() |
| Kuopio, Finland. |

1 comment:
Art is long, life short. Hope your existential pains pass. You're certainly experiencing some cool stuff on your trip down the river.
Post a Comment