Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Math Geek Adventures blog archive.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

New Zealand Odyssey: Week 13, Classic Coast and the Coastal Classic

Me on the way down to Tunnel Beach
We  had a couple of outings this past weekend. First, on Saturday afternoon, we finally made it out to Tunnel Beach, which has been closed for two months for lambing season.  This is another amazing spot within minutes of Dunedin; I think it only took us 30 minutes to get there, from the other side of town.
The story is that the farmer who owns the land dug a tunnel through stone so that his daughters could have access to a beach. Now that the City of Dunedin takes care of the track, the tunnel is perfect with steps and all. But, I wonder what it looked like when it was first finished.

Jen on the way to Tunnel Beach
Alex and Ellie at Tunnel Beach

On Sunday, Jen and I did a mountain bike race down in Taeiri Mouth, about 50 minutes drive south from our house. The race was mostly logging roads, but also on some farm track. It was a good time. Jen did the 10 mile competition and I did the 25 mile. We got muddy, got our competitive juices flowing and had a good day, though I must admit to feeling guilty for making the kids be spectators for a change.

Jen at the end of the race.
Me at the beginning.
Finally, just today, Jen and I went out for a ride on the Otago Peninsula. It was another glorious day of weather and riding. The route was really nice: along the Pacific side of the Peninsula, then up and over to McAndrew Bay on Otagor Harbor, awesome views all the way. 
Me with the Otago coastline and Sandymount behind.
Jen and Alistar, a fellow we met along the way, St. Clair beach behind.


Jen descending into McAndrew Bay.


1 comment:

EcoRover said...

Glad to have found your blog--what an amazing adventure!